JOB TITLE: Part Time Accountant LOCATION: Old Bexley Lane, DA5
HOURS: 25 per week, flexible but expected to be during normal office hours, Monday through Friday, 9.30am to 5.30pm.
Job Purpose & Scope
Brendan P Byrne and Co Ltd, is a small firm of tax accountants in practice operating across Kent, with the main office in Bexley, Kent.
The practice has c.500 clients who all require tax compliance services, mainly Tax Returns, but also book-keeping, accounting, tax returns, payroll and vat. In the main these are small local business. Our expansion requires support from an experienced Part Time Accountant.
Tax and Accounting Duties:
▪ to operate and accurately maintain the database, payroll and various accounting software packages in use.
▪ using the software provided input data for accounts, vat and personal self-assessment / corporation tax return production, for clients which could be Companies, Individuals, Partnership/Sole Trade Businesses.
▪ keep appropriate evidence, perform necessary calculations and computations, validate all work using suitable reconciliations.
▪ manage a portfolio of clients in terms of book-keeping and monitor their deadlines throughout their cycle using on-line software performing:
▪ assist clients with their obligations to update HMRC with CIS and payroll data on a monthly basis.
▪ proactively research and deal with client records using ‘incomplete records’ methodology.
▪ produce annual financial statements, complaint with GAAP, although not audited but using the same techniques and disciplines.
▪ use Excel to produce or extend analysis and spreadsheets produced in-house or by clients.
▪ maintain clients statutory records and input data onto Companies House.
▪ input and check data on HMRC online systems.
▪ work coherently on accounting data tasks with other staff or partners.
▪ keep up to date with changes in vat, paye and other tax legislation and regulations, and apply knowledge.
▪ be respectful of client’s records, be orderly and keep all data confidential, be vigilant with all data to ensure details are not overlooked, misused or mislaid, and returned complete.
▪ be responsible for updating progress boards, monitoring priority upcoming deadlines, rescheduling workload where needed.
General Office Duties:
▪ update internal databases for client information in accordance with GDPR protocols.
▪ supervise the set up new client files including performing risk assessments and anti-money laundering procedures.
▪ develop a good understanding of the BPB policies, procedures and manuals.
▪ if necessary open post, date stamp and distribute as directed, frank & send outgoing mail.
▪ answer incoming telephone calls and manage client expectations in terms of their queries or escalate as necessary.
▪ manage time recording in order to keep unbillable hours to a minimum.
▪ any other ad hoc duty as requested by senior management.
This role will be subject to satisfactory references and a probationary period of 5 months, with salary in the region of £19,000 – £25,000 pa depending on qualifications and experience.
E-mail BPB@BPB.accountants in the first instance, preferably with your CV, quoting ref: PTA22